PSA – Animal Abandonment
It is illegal to abandon animals anywhere in the state of Illinois. If you have a pet you need to relinquish for whatever reason (no judgement here) there are services available to help you. **Please do not leave pets outside PetSmart or bring them to us at an adoption event.**
We are very sorry we have to publish this but we’ve had several pets dropped off in person with no notice, and it isn’t a good situation for anybody involved. Picture of sweet Eleanor above, who was dropped off in an Amazon box at an event and caused a huge emergency scramble.
While we do take in owner-surrendered pets (and give special priority if you adopted the pet from A.R.F.), we do not have the facilities available to take them in on the spot.
Here is a list of organizations that can take in surrendered cats and dogs. Please contact them for the processes and procedures.
- DuPage Animal Control: https://www.dupageco.org/AnimalServices/57789/
- Naperville Area Humane Society: https://www.naperhumane.org/relinquish-a-pet
- Anti-Cruelty Society https://anticruelty.org/surrender
- Animal Welfare League: http://www.animalwelfareleague.com/programs-services/owner-relinquish/
- Joliet Township Animal Control: http://www.joliettownshipanimalcontrol.net/
- Will County Humane Society: https://willcountyhumane.com/resources/giving-up-a-pet/