Chicagoland Resources for Low-Cost Pet Care
Taking good care of your beloved furry family members costs money, and millions of pet owners are facing unemployment and financial difficulties right now. While falling on hard times is one of the top reasons people surrender their pets, financial hardship doesn’t mean having to say good-bye to your fuzzy loved ones. There are lots of resources out there for pet owners going through a financial crisis, from low-cost medical services to pet food pantries to temporary foster care. A.R.F.-Animal Rescue Foundation has compiled some DuPage County and Chicago-area low-cost pet care resources below, because we want to help you keep your furry family together!
Low-Cost Pet Medical Services
- A.D.O.P.T. Naperville Spay/Neuter Services: Call (630) 355-2299
- Anderson Animal Shelter: Call (847) 697-2880
- Animal Care League Spay/Neuter Services: Call (708) 848-8155
- Anti-Cruelty Society: Call (312) 644-8338 ext.347. Some low-income services are temporarily suspended until further notice, but keep checking the page for updates.
- DuPage County Animal Services: Call (630) 407-2800. A Spay and Neuter Voucher is offered to DuPage County residents with SNAP, LINK, and/or Social Security Disability Insurance.
- Fox Valley Animal Welfare League: Call (630) 800-2254. Low-cost clinic services are offered for Illinois residents that receive social security, unemployment, or state aid.
- Paws Chicago Spay/Neuter Services: Call (773) 521-7729
- Spay Illinois: Call (630) 961-8000
Pet Food Pantries
DuPage County Pet Food Pantries
- Animal Care League Pets & People Support Program: Call (708) 848-8155. Fill out this application form to request a pet supply care package.
- Bruno’s Pro-Bone-O Pet Pantry: Call (630) 926-3610. Fill out an application form when you arrive at the Hanover Township Food Pantry.
- DuPage Senior Citizens Council Pet Care and Food Assistance: Call (630) 620-0804. Pet food deliveries and veterinary visits for pets of seniors.
- Fox Valley Animal Welfare League Pet Food Pantry in partnership with the Humanitarian Service Project’s Senior Citizens Project: Call (630) 221-8340
- Groceries (including pet food) are delivered once a month.
- Seniors are referred by DuPage County Senior Services, Catholic Charities, area townships, and other social service agencies–or they can fill out Application form.
- Wet Nose Pet Food Pantry: Call (708) 480-2538. Downloadable applications are available at the bottom of this page.
There are also some human food pantries in the DuPage area that will occasionally have pet food, depending on what is donated at the time. Call the pantry ahead of time to check availability.
- Glen Ellyn Food Pantry: Call (630) 469-8668. For qualified residents in Glen Ellyn, Lombard, Carol Stream, Wheaton, Lisle, Glendale Heights, Bloomingdale or Addison.
- Downers Grove Area FISH: Call (630) 964-7776. For qualified residents in Lisle, Downers Grove or Westmont.
- People’s Resource Center: Call (630) 682-5402. All residents of DuPage County are eligible to become a People’s Resource Center client.
- West Suburban Community Pantry: Call (630) 512-9921. For residents of DuPage County, Romeoville, and Bolingbrook who meet the federal income guidelines.
- Loaves and Fishes in Naperville: Call (630) 355-3663. Eligibility is based on the IL Emergency Food Program income guidelines.
Chicago Area Pet Food Pantries
- Care for Real Pet Pantry: Call (773) 769-6182 to find out if you are eligible for support.
- C.A.R.E. Pet Food Pantry: Fill out this application form to find out if you are eligible for support in the Skokie area.
- Evanston Animal Shelter COVID-19 Pet Food Assistance: Call (847) 866-5082 if you are local to Evanston and urgently need pet food supplies.
- Friendship Pet Food Pantry. Call (773) 907-6388 to find out if you are eligible for support in Chicago.
- Irving Park Community Food Pantry Pet Food Corner: Call (773) 283-6296 to find out if you are eligible for support.
- PAWS Chicago Pet Food Bank: Call (773) 475-9426 to find out if you are eligible for support.
- Red Door Animal Shelter Café Program: Call (773) 764-2242. Clients must show proof of low-income or fixed-income status.
- Wright-Way Rescue Pet Food Bank: Call (618) 713-9071 with any questions, or apply at the bottom of the linked page. Local delivery is available, and curbside pickup is available for non-locals.
Temporary Pet Boarding for Families in Crisis
- A.D.O.P.T. Pet Shelter Blessed Bonds Program: Call (630) 355-2299. Temporary foster care for Chicagoland families or individuals in crisis.
- Naperville Area Humane Society: Call (630) 420-8989 x1005. Safe Pet Program for families in crisis.
- PAWS Chicago COVID-19 Crisis Foster Care. Call (773) 475-4242. For those in the Chicago area who are experiencing crisis and having difficulties caring for their pets. Click the link and scroll down to fill out the form in detail.
Want to Help Others in Need?
Donate to A.R.F. so we can help owners keep pets in their homes, or consider donating to any of the organizations above to help provide low-cost pet care assistance for others. RescueBank is like a food bank but for pet food, and A.R.F. is a recipient of their pet food and supply program.